Thursday, August 29, 2002

There's only one peach with a hole in the middle. Maybe.

Mmmm. Peaches. Maybe she hadn't seen Tiny's Organic Donut Peaches yet when Peaches wrote that song.

Well, I thought a cure for my gloomy mood might be to go to Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck) and buy myself a package of those bizarre new donut peaches they are selling for $6/half-dozen. The price of a matinee movie, a luxurious novelty, they are organic- nothing but bug footprints on them. They are small, sweet, easy to eat, very sexy. Then, talking to a friend on the phone, I was musing that today is the 1/2 year mark for the birthday of my 103 year old adopted great-great grandmother, Valentina Mikhailovna, AKA my babushka. We have blogs and e-mail as a daily part of our lives, while she is still getting used to women walking out on the street wearing pants, and now we've entered a whole new state of whacky- we have donut-shaped peaches. Then, I looked them up. They are much older than Valentina Mikhailovna. The Saucer Peach, Chinese Peach, Saturn Peach, Flat Peach. The third day of the third month of the Chinese Lunar Calendar is the Festival of the Flat Peach. The other peach with a hole in the middle. As I've written this I've nibbled down four.

No comments: